Connect with us

Barça News

Luis Enrique responds to Barcelona return rumours after Xavi exit announcement

Published

on

Photo by GUILLAUME SOUVANT/AFP via Getty Images

Xavi Hernandez made a shock announcement this past Sunday, confirming that he will be leaving FC Barcelona at the end of the season.

The 44-year-old had been under immense pressure this season, especially in recent weeks with results not going the Blaugrana’s way.

And, following the latest loss – a 3-5 home defeat to Villarreal – Xavi felt that it was time for him to announce that he would be walking away in the summer as he felt the players and the team needed a change of dynamics.

Search for replacement already underway

Even though Xavi still has four months to go at the helm, the search for his replacement is already underway.

Names like Mikel Arteta, Hansi Flick, Jurgen Klopp, and Roberto De Zerbi, among others are being touted as possible candidates to succeed Xavi at Barcelona.

Meanwhile, reports on Sunday suggested that the Barça dressing room wanted Luis Enrique to return to the club as manager.

The Spaniard is currently in charge of PSG, having taken over the French capital club in the summer. He enjoyed a successful stint with Barcelona between 2014 and 2017 and is said to be under consideration for a possible return.

Enrique quiet on Barcelona return talks

Following PSG’s 2-2 draw against Stade Brestois on Sunday, Luis Enrique was asked about Xavi’s decision to step away from the Barcelona job as well as the possibility of him returning to the Catalan outfit in the summer.

Enrique, though, opted to stay tight-lipped on the matter, as he said: “I have nothing to comment on this issue.”

Enrique has a contract with PSG until the summer of 2025 and as things stand, it seems unlikely that he would be returning to Barcelona.

Trending Articles