Ronald Koeman’s Barcelona drew with Valencia this Saturday. The Catalans could not see off the game and, ultimately, got pegged back before the end of the game.
“We didn’t miss many clear chances today because we didn’t have many in the first place, which worries me. There was irregularity during the match, and at some point, we lost control.”Ronald Koeman | Post-match prerss conference (via BarçaTV+)
“We played a difficult match. I thought we should play with three at the back to control the game defensively.”
“We tried everything, but it was not good enough.”
Koeman decided to replace Frenkie de Jong with Philippe Coutinho when he could have had more control with Miralem Pjanic, Carles Aleñá or Riqui Puig. The Catalans suffered a lot from the lack of control in midfield and could have won the game easily. Besides, had Antoine Griezmann not missed the ball in front of the net, Barça would have won.
“We subbed on De Jong to play differently, not because Busquets was playing badly.”Ronald Koeman | Post-match press conference
De Jong had a really pleasing half. However, the Blaugrana midfield was too empty and the Dutchman, much like Sergio Busquets, could not do everything by himself. Overall, it was a chaotic midfield.
“The young players have to mature.”Ronald Koeman | Post-match conference
Oscar Mingueza and Ronald Araujo had another impressive game, Pedri covered a lot of ground and Sergiño had a decent game on the right. Perhaps the more experienced players, like Coutinho and Griezmann who did not have their best game, were the biggest problem.
“We haven’t said goodbye to La Liga. There are a lot of games left.Ronald Koeman | Post-match press conference
“There are moments where it’s not important to play well, but it’s a matter of seeing off the game.”
In the marathon that is La Liga, consistency is key. Real Madrid proved it last year by winning their games while not shining. However, Barcelona have not shown any consistency to justify their numerous below-par displays. If Koeman’s men can win three games on the trot without relapsing, then maybe they can dream about the title. Right now, the objective is to qualify for the Champions League.
David Beckham confirms Messi has been mentioned in MLS plans
During the presentation of the new Inter Miami kit, club owner and former football superstar David Beckham confirmed that he has big ambitions for his side. The Englishman has been making major headway since he founded the club, who began playing in Major League Soccer (MLS) last season.
The Miami based club unveiled their secondary jersey, named La Palma on Saturday. Beckham, during the ceremony spoke about his plans for the club, stating how important it is to attract the biggest names in football.
The former Real Madrid and Manchester United man addressed rumours about both Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. He said: “I know that in Miami our fans want to see great stars. Messi and Ronaldo have been mentioned, have been at the top of their game and have been the best for the last 15 years. We want to attract the best players.”
Speaking about the talent he has already managed to attract, Beckham added: “We already have players like Higuaín and Matuidi who already bring shine and glamour, but in the future we want to have the opportunity to bring big name signings.”
Back when Messi asked to leave Barcelona last summer, the Argentine was linked however briefly to a move to the MLS. Inter Miami, being the most possible suitors. However, Messi ended up staying in Spain after a complicated transfer saga.
There is no doubt that with Beckham at the helm, Inter Miami could attract a ton of big names in the future. However, a move to the States would most certainly be a step sideways for Messi, considering he still has years left at the top in Europe.