Connect with us

Barça News

Gerard Pique appoints Eder Sarabia as head coach for his team Andorra

Udhav Arora

Published

on

Photo by Denis Doyle/Getty Images

In an interesting turn of events, Barcelona centre-back Gerard Pique has appointed Eder Sarabia as head coach for his team Andorra. Sarabia served as Quique Setien’s assistant during the Spaniard’s six-month tenure at Barcelona ranging from January to August before the coaching staff was sacked for a humiliating exit at the hands of Bayern Munich.

Pique’s Kosmos Holding Group bought Andorra, who operated in the Tercera Division – the Spain’s fourth tier, in December 2018. After raising enough funds, and going on a 22 match unbeaten run, Andorra replaced CF Reus in the Segunda Division B.

After the dismissal of Gabri Garcia following a poor run of form, Nacho Castro was appointed as the head coach. After nearly a year in-charge, on January 18, Andorra announced through a press release that Castro would not be continuing at the club. Three hours later, Eder Sarabia was appointed.

This appointment has come as a surprise to Barcelona fans considering Sarabia’s controversial tenure with the club. The Spaniard had been on the end of several heated discussion with club captain Lionel Messi, with videos releasing of the assistant shouting and cursing at the players during a game against Celta Vigo last season.

Andorra currently sit second in Group III-A of the Segunda Division B, three points clear of Barcelona B. The two are set to meet on 7th February in Round 15 of the third division. The Encamp outfit won the last meeting, held in November 2020, between the two with a goal from Carlos Martinez Rodriguez enough to scrape a 1-0 win through.

Editor-in-Chief. | I have devoted my life to two arts — photography and writing. They say a picture says a thousand words, but my idea is to click it and then write a thousand words about it myself.

Advertisement

Barça News

David Beckham confirms Messi has been mentioned in MLS plans

Aaryan Parasnis

Published

on

Photo by Clive Rose/Getty Images

During the presentation of the new Inter Miami kit, club owner and former football superstar David Beckham confirmed that he has big ambitions for his side. The Englishman has been making major headway since he founded the club, who began playing in Major League Soccer (MLS) last season.

The Miami based club unveiled their secondary jersey, named La Palma on Saturday. Beckham, during the ceremony spoke about his plans for the club, stating how important it is to attract the biggest names in football.

The former Real Madrid and Manchester United man addressed rumours about both Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. He said: “I know that in Miami our fans want to see great stars. Messi and Ronaldo have been mentioned, have been at the top of their game and have been the best for the last 15 years. We want to attract the best players.”

Speaking about the talent he has already managed to attract, Beckham added: “We already have players like Higuaín and Matuidi who already bring shine and glamour, but in the future we want to have the opportunity to bring big name signings.”

Back when Messi asked to leave Barcelona last summer, the Argentine was linked however briefly to a move to the MLS. Inter Miami, being the most possible suitors. However, Messi ended up staying in Spain after a complicated transfer saga.

There is no doubt that with Beckham at the helm, Inter Miami could attract a ton of big names in the future. However, a move to the States would most certainly be a step sideways for Messi, considering he still has years left at the top in Europe.

Continue Reading