Xavi’s starting XI in Barcelona’s 2-1 win over Alaves raised several eyebrows. For once, Alejandro Balde, Raphinha, Oriol Romeu, and Andreas Christensen were all named on the bench and what’s more surprising is that there were only two homegrown players in the squad, namely, Lamine Yamal and Fermin Lopez.
As it turns out, the limited presence of the youth team players has once again put former midfielder Riqui Puig under the spotlight as he liked a post by Josep Capdevila on X which stated,
“Xavi is on his way to achieving it: a Barça starting eleven without any youth players. Today, only two. We are going towards a totally unrecognizable Barça.”
Puig has always been discontent with Barcelona
Puig, 24, left Barcelona in August 2022, joining LA Galaxy in a shocking move after failing to get recognition in the starting XI at his boyhood club.
Since then, the 24-year-old has been quite vocal about his discontent not just with Barcelona but also with Xavi.
“I believe I was not treated fairly when I came back to training in pre-season last summer when the club did not let me train with them,” he had said earlier this year.
“That’s what really annoyed me during my last years there. As soon as this happened, I tried to look for my way out pretty quickly.”
Frustrated at the starting XI
On Sunday, the former Barcelona midfielder liked a post that emphasised the scarcity of La Masia graduates in the selected team, which consisted of only two players from the youth system.
Nevertheless, he subsequently removed his association with the post later on.
Meanwhile, it said that concerns among fans are growing as there is apprehension that Xavi may soon assemble a starting lineup devoid of any La Masia graduates.
Despite providing opportunities to numerous young players during his tenure, many of them are not consistent starters at the current time.