During the presentation of the new Inter Miami kit, club owner and former football superstar David Beckham confirmed that he has big ambitions for his side. The Englishman has been making major headway since he founded the club, who began playing in Major League Soccer (MLS) last season.
The Miami based club unveiled their secondary jersey, named La Palma on Saturday. Beckham, during the ceremony spoke about his plans for the club, stating how important it is to attract the biggest names in football.
The former Real Madrid and Manchester United man addressed rumours about both Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. He said: “I know that in Miami our fans want to see great stars. Messi and Ronaldo have been mentioned, have been at the top of their game and have been the best for the last 15 years. We want to attract the best players.”
Speaking about the talent he has already managed to attract, Beckham added: “We already have players like Higuaín and Matuidi who already bring shine and glamour, but in the future we want to have the opportunity to bring big name signings.”
Back when Messi asked to leave Barcelona last summer, the Argentine was linked however briefly to a move to the MLS. Inter Miami, being the most possible suitors. However, Messi ended up staying in Spain after a complicated transfer saga.
There is no doubt that with Beckham at the helm, Inter Miami could attract a ton of big names in the future. However, a move to the States would most certainly be a step sideways for Messi, considering he still has years left at the top in Europe.
La Liga chief Javier Tebas talks summer transfers and fan return to stadiums
In a conference held by ADEA Forum (Association of managers and executives of Aragon) in Zaragoza, Javier Tebas spoke on a wide range of topics surrounding La Liga.
Mostly, the La Liga president spoke regarding the league’s bounce back from the pandemic and some potential plans for the league to restore public crowds. He also discussed the losses incurred, the summer transfers, among other things.
The Condition of La Liga
Tebas started the conference by claiming that the situation for the Spanish league is comparatively better than other leagues.
Speaking on this, he said, “The situation is worrying, but not so much. I think that of this pandemic the Spanish League is the one that is going to turn out less badly compared to the others.”
He then spoke about the losses incurred in Spanish football, with the net loss amounting to €1 billion by the 30th of September.
On the losses, Tebas said, “Of this billion, 750 have been financed by banks or investment funds, the latter the majority based in London, and the rest have been done by the clubs pulling their cash.”
Additionally, he mentioned that it was big clubs that were affected stronger than the smaller clubs, due to the huge loss of income from the lack of crowds, among other profitable economic activities that clubs such as Real Madrid and Barcelona enjoy above others.
A return for crowds to stadiums
When speaking on a return of crowds to stadiums, the La Liga chief seemed tremendously confident in their ability to host crowds as early as tomorrow. He claimed that they would have to run at between 20% to 30% capacity; nonetheless, the Spaniard was confident that teams would be more than capable of hosting crowds very soon.
Speaking on the same, he said, “There is a working group for the return [of fans] to the stadiums. I hope that in the last league games we can see the public in a proportional amount.”
Upcoming transfer window
Speaking on the summer transfer window, the president claimed that there will indeed be a lower amount of transfers as there were in the previous window. Tebas said, “They have already been lower in winter. There may be occasional and exceptional operations, but globally it will decrease. There will be exchanges of players. It’s going to be lower than last year.”
Accordingly, clubs are going to have to dig into their academy reserves more and more as the global and financial situations amend over time.