In what could be a positive development for the club, SPORT is reporting that Barcelona will be able to sign players in the January transfer window as they are close to reaching an agreement with US investment fund CVC.
Barcelona were among the three clubs that voted against La Liga’s CVC proposal along with Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid while 39 other teams voted in favour of the deal in the Assembly last Friday.
However, Barca president Joan Laporta had previously indicated he would be willing to reconsider his position and study the proposal again if better terms were offered and the deal was restructured. “If they reformulate it, and we already had a meeting with them, we will study it again,” he had said.
And as per the latest update, it seems that progress has been made in negotiations between the Blaugrana and CVC, with an agreement said to be close.
The report further adds that finance giants Goldman Sachs, who already have a business partnership with Barcelona, are also involved in talks to facilitate the deal as they share a good relationship with the club as well as CVC.
Should the deal go ahead as reported, there will be a significant financial injection into the club right ahead of the January transfer window, which would then enable Xavi Hernandez & co. to sign up new players.
Judging by recent results and the injury situation within the squad, it goes without saying that Barca are in need of reinforcements in January. But their hands had been tied down because of the club’s fragile economic situation.
However, the boost that they would stand to get from the CVC deal could change things up for the club. Whether an agreement is arrived at remains to be seen.