Connect with us

Barça News

Barcelona is not likely to sign Neymar this summer

Josep Bartomeu has declared that the club are in no position to sign Neymar from PSG and that the transfer is unlikely to happen.

Udhav Arora

Published

on

Neymar Barcelona signing
Photo by JOHN THYS/AFP via Getty Images

In a recent interview with RAC 1, Josep Bartomeu revealed that it is unlikely that Barcelona go after Neymar this summer. The club seemed to be interested in his services last year as well. A move did not go through though, and it is beyond far-fetched that it happens this year given the financial situation brought on by the Coronavirus pandemic.

Neymar joined Paris Saint Germain in July 2017 for a world-record €222 million transfer fee, after completing four brilliant seasons in Spain. During this time he formed a lethal partnership with Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez which was dubbed as the best-attacking trio the world of football had ever seen. The ‘MSN’ were the primal force behind Barcelona’s incredible 2014/15 treble-winning season.

Neymar reportedly left Barcelona in search of personal ambition, but it has not fared out well for him. Not so far, at least. His first season in the French capital ended with him making a mere 20 appearances while registering 19 goals and 13 assists. His returns were phenomenal, but he was out for a major part of the campaign through an ankle injury and has missed games every year through the same.

Reports started linking him back to Barcelona and these rumors have sent the club and the fanbase into turmoil. However, they may have finally come to and this time, club president Bartomeu declared that it would be challenging.

“Such an operation is unlikely because the situation of all the clubs in Europe is very difficult.”
– Josep Bartomeu, Barça president

Barcelona have six forwards on their payroll, not including Francisco Trincao and Pedri who are set to join the club once the season calls curtains. Lautaro Martinez, too, is likely to be included in this frontline, which leaves virtually no space for Neymar in the Barcelona team. Moreover, attempting to sign the 28-year-old would ruin Barça’s wage bill and financial structure even more.

After undergoing surgery this year, Ousmane Dembele is also expected to return to the team as fit as he was when he arrived and has reportedly hired a physio to help him with the same. This could be Dembele’s chance to stay and make that left flank his own in 2020/21.

Editor-in-Chief. | I have devoted my life to two arts — photography and writing. They say a picture says a thousand words, but my idea is to click it and then write a thousand words about it myself.

Advertisement

Barça News

David Beckham confirms Messi has been mentioned in MLS plans

Aaryan Parasnis

Published

on

Photo by Clive Rose/Getty Images

During the presentation of the new Inter Miami kit, club owner and former football superstar David Beckham confirmed that he has big ambitions for his side. The Englishman has been making major headway since he founded the club, who began playing in Major League Soccer (MLS) last season.

The Miami based club unveiled their secondary jersey, named La Palma on Saturday. Beckham, during the ceremony spoke about his plans for the club, stating how important it is to attract the biggest names in football.

The former Real Madrid and Manchester United man addressed rumours about both Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. He said: “I know that in Miami our fans want to see great stars. Messi and Ronaldo have been mentioned, have been at the top of their game and have been the best for the last 15 years. We want to attract the best players.”

Speaking about the talent he has already managed to attract, Beckham added: “We already have players like Higuaín and Matuidi who already bring shine and glamour, but in the future we want to have the opportunity to bring big name signings.”

Back when Messi asked to leave Barcelona last summer, the Argentine was linked however briefly to a move to the MLS. Inter Miami, being the most possible suitors. However, Messi ended up staying in Spain after a complicated transfer saga.

There is no doubt that with Beckham at the helm, Inter Miami could attract a ton of big names in the future. However, a move to the States would most certainly be a step sideways for Messi, considering he still has years left at the top in Europe.

Continue Reading